Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What should I expect at the nail salon?

I have never had a manicure (professionally done) in my life. My nails are naturally very thin and break easy, so they're short. I'm assuming that means I have to get acrylics...? But I want just something simple and nice - like a French manicure type thing. Can they do that with acrylics, or do they need your real nails for that? Please forgive my ignorance! All help will be appreciated! :)What should I expect at the nail salon?
If you have thin nails, then my advice is to stay away from the discount salons. These are the salons that charge typically $25 or less for a full set. Generally, they are the walk-in, no appointment needed places that do your nails in a half hour or so. I say that you should avoid this type of salon because they are famous for taking a Dremel drill and using a sanding band to file your natural nails down until there is hardly anything left. They say this is to make the acrylic adhere better, but it is totally unnecessary. Since you have thin nais to begin with, believe me, they are going to ruin them by using this drill on you. Avoid discount salons if at all possible.


Your best options are either acrylic, or gel nails. The advantages of top quality UV gel nails is that they are durable, non-yellowing, and non-toxic. They are also more natural looking than acrylic nails, and they are non-porous which means that they tend to be less prone to lifting and you can usually go a bit longer between fills compared to acrylics. The downside is that they cost more because the products cost more, and they take more time to apply. They should take an experienced tech no less that 1 1/4 hours to apply a full set of UV gel nails. And acrylic nails should take NO less than a full hour, or more to apply a full set. Expect the price for gels to be anywhere from a minimum of $45 all the way up to $85.


Be sure that you go to a highly skilled, and experienced technician who uses nothing but the best quality products.


Either acrylic, or gels offer a wide variety of colors and glitters, mylar, and other materials can be used in the application process to make your nails stand out from the crowd. But remember, if you opt for gel nails, make absolutely certain that you are getting 'real' UV gel nail, and not acrylic. So many women out there have this scam pulled on them where they will ask for gel nails (higher cost), and the tech will apply acrylic nails, then apply a UV topcoat and call them gel nails. If the tech uses ANY liquid and powder, then you are getting acrylic nails, NOT gel nails. Gels is never a powder. To see what top quality UV gel products look like, use this link:


http://www.cnd.com/Home/homelink-consume鈥?/a>


If you want a good tech in your area, here are a couple of links that may be of help to you. BTW, I have absolutely nothing to gain, nor do I profit from posting these sites. I am not affiliated with them in any way. But I do know that they are a good resource for finding well qualified nail techs anywhere in the U.S.:


http://www.cnd.com/Locate/Find-A-Salon.a鈥?/a>


http://www.beautytech.info/locator/index鈥?/a>


I hope this helps!What should I expect at the nail salon?
You don't need acrylic for french tips unless your nails are SUPER duper short. .. like really really short.. like some people who bite their fingernails who don't really have nails short.





I get a french manicure every once in a while without fake nails. My nails aren't really long but they aren't too short either.





I think you should just get a normal manicure first since it's your first time and you say your nails break easy. So a manicure once a week for a few weeks so they build some strength and then you can go get acrylics if you want. You can still get a french mani without fake nails tho.
they can do a french manicure with acrylics. you would probably like it better that way because it won't chip and the ends will be longer for the white. they will do anything you want with acrylics. just a get a ';fill'; every 3 weeks or so when they grow out.
Well you should expect no one to speak english, then a lot of touching, it takes a long time. Your nails will be shaped, and smoothed, and the cuticles cleaned off/away from your nails. If your nails are long theyll cut them, so with the french they use tips. I'm always really bored when I go and dont like the massaging of my arms and neck/back, during the process, but am happy with the results.
Of course you can get a french with acrylics, and trust me, they look beautiful (:
Bring a Vietnamese friend along.
no u'll need acyrlics. but they always look cuter with them on anyways.
they can do anthing to acrylics. any thing at all
Make sure you get some reccomendations of clean nail salons. I live in Hawaii, too and know people that have gotten nasty fungus from some of our salons. There are good ones out there, just do your research. good luck!


ps. french manicures look great on acrylics, better than on the real things, imo!
Acrylics stick on top of your nails and yeah they can do it in simple french polish ... for a really natural look ask them to keep them short. I bite my nails and they are really weak if I do manage to grow them but acrylics worked great for me.
If you are planning on getting acrylic, gel, or fiberglass wraps, be sure that you are willing to commit to having them done about once every two weeks. Having artificial nails applied is not the most gentle thing you can do for your nails, and if you are not willing to keep up with them, you will have damaged your nails further for nothing. However, if you do decide they are a good option for you, they can make them look like a French manicure through various means, either through airbrushing or sculpting them with colored acrylic or gel. If you decide a manicure would be a better option, your nail tech can recommend nail strengtheners that could help to prevent natural nail breakage in the future. Also, I personally think shorter nails look classy with a French manicure. It just depends on how much time and money you are willing to commit.

No comments:

Post a Comment